Secretary General of The Norwegian Red Cross will not extend his tenure
– Today I have informed the Board that I will step down as SG in Norwegian Red Cross when my tenure ends in November.
It has been 6 years of pure privilege, and we have accomplished so much together. I will be forever grateful for the opportunity and the experience, says Mr Apeland.
During Apeland's period as Secretary General, the organization has responded to the need for emergency health care in some of the most demanding and complex war and conflict zones in the world, such as Syria, Yemen and Afghanistan.
– We have run field hospitals in line with the Red Cross principles in Al-Hol in Syria, Bakwa in what was a Taliban-controlled area in Afghanistan and the Covid-19 clinic in Yemen which have all helped to save many lives, in areas where few others would have had the opportunity to help. It has been very meaningful to be a part of this, says Apeland.
– I will forever be grateful for the opportunity and experience of being the Secretary General in Norway's largest voluntary, humanitarian organization. With the great humanitarian challenges we have dealt with in these six years, I have had one of the most exciting and challenging jobs in Norway, says the Secretary General.
– I want to thank Bernt Apeland for his efforts for almost six years now, says President Thor Inge Sveinsvoll. In Bernt, we have had a Secretary General who has led the daily work of the organization through two years of pandemic, record numbers of search and rescue missions and the work the organization has done to identify and meet humanitarian needs, not least for children and young people, says Sveinsvoll.
– I would also like to thank Bernt for the focus he has had on culture and management, says Sveinsvoll.
Bernt Apeland will continue in the position until October 2022. The Red Cross will now initiate a thorough recruitment process to identify his successor.
For media enquiries, contact:
Røde Kors pressevakt +47 94 87 29 99 (ikke SMS) eller firstname.lastname@example.org